Bematech’s competitive strengths include:
- Market leadership for the commercial automation of the retail industry in Brazil. The Company provides integrated solutions for the commercial automation of the retail industry in Brazil. Bematech leads the market in the sale of hardware products, with a presence in 51.5% of all automated teller machines (based on the 400,000 teller machines that had been installed).
- Operating in a market characterized by solid growth. Bematech benefits directly from the growth of the retail industry and its investments in information technology. Among the factors indicating the potential for continued growth in the retail industry are expectations of the continued growth of consumer purchasing power and income, the reduction in interest rates and greater availability of credit lines for consumers. Retailers’ attempts to increase the operating efficiency of their operations have been reflected in their sustained investments in information technology.
- Differentiated business model. Bematech has a differentiated business model, which makes it inherently difficult for new competitors to enter the market in which Bematech operates. The Company’s business model is based primarily on the following principles: (i) one-stop-shop; (ii) efficient and broad distribution network; (iii) efficient credit management platform; and (iv) programs for technical and commercial improvement through Bematech University.
- A broad, diversified and growing customer base. Approximately 400,000 end customers located throughout Brazil that operate in various sectors of the economy including the food, electric and electronic equipment, construction materials, drugstores and fuel sectors, among others, had purchased Bematech’s products in the last years. This diversification allows the Company to benefit from multiple growth trends, while reducing the volatility of its revenues and its dependence on any one sector. The Company believes that the depth of its knowledge of this market better positions Bematech to meet the demands of its customers more quickly and efficiently.
- Knowledge of the technologies used in the commercial automation of the retail industry and continuous investment in research and development. Bematech has extensive experience in the development of its own technologies, such as the RC-8000, a compact retail computer exclusively for retail. Bematech’s research and development department consists of approximately 80 dedicated employees, located in four R&D sites in Brazil, USA and Taiwan. The Company always seeks to develop its products and services so that they can be easily adapted to the needs of retailers of any size and in any location, culture, or economic sector.
- Highly experienced management with an entrepreneurial profile and a long history of good corporate governance practices. Throughout Bematech’s history, the Company has operated in a highly dynamic and competitive environment. Consequently, management’s development and implementation of significant strategic restructuring plans have been critical to its success. Bematech’s management bases its decisions on the principle of maximizing shareholder value and is further directed by its own internal policies known as Bematech Mais Valor (Bematech Added Value), which is designed to better align the relationship between executives and shareholders, decentralize decision-making, and organize decision-making around the creation of value and preservation of its shareholders’ capital. In addition, throughout the years Bematech has adopted sound corporate governance practices, which have become firmly rooted in its culture. The Company was awarded with the prize IBGC corporate governance for two consecutive times, in 2007 and 2008. Recently Bematech was included in the Companies Circle of the Latin American Corporate Governance Roundtable, a select group of companies from Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica, Argentina and Mexico, renowned for their adoption of the best corporate governance practices.
Last Update: August 19, 2011