1926 São Martinho Farm

São Martinho’s history began in Italy at the end of the 19th century, when members of the Ometto family immigrated to Brazil. They brought with them the dreams and hopes of better living and working conditions in their new home. They worked together and with determination in upcountry São Paulo, gradually cementing a rarely successful trajectory.

They built their first sugarcane mill in 1914 at the Olaria farm and produced sugar for the first time in 1932 at the Boa Vista farm in Limeira.

In 1937, the family acquired the Iracema Mill, located in the city of Iracemápolis in upcountry São Paulo, and converted it into an ethanol distillery. In 1946, the mill began producing sugar as well. Three years later, the Omettos acquired the São Martinho Mill, located in the city of Pradópolis, around 330 kilometers from São Paulo, which later became one of the world’s largest sugarcane mills.

The two mills grew and became modern over the decades. In 2000 a unified structure was created to enable a more professional management of the business and create new investment opportunities.

1926 sugar cane

São Martinho S.A. is one of the largest sugar and ethanol groups in Brazil, with annual sugarcane crushing capacity of 24 million metric tons. It operates four mills: São Martinho, in Pradópolis (in the Ribeirão Preto region of São Paulo); Iracema, in Iracemápolis, (in the Limeira region of São Paulo), Santa Cruz, in Américo Brasiliense (SP) and Boa Vista, in Quirinópolis, 300 kilometers from Goiânia (GO). The company also has a production unit of ribonucleic acid, Omtek, located in Iracemápolis too. The São Martinho‘s average harvest mechanization ratio is 99.8%, with this figure reaching 100% at Boa Vista Mill.

The corporate office is located in São Paulo and the Shared Services Center (CSC), which houses the administrative, financial, legal, human resources, procurement, IT and controllership departments, is located in Pradópolis.

The business group concept was consolidated in recent years with the standardization of a brand, which helped strengthen the group’s performance, especially the Company’s IPO in 2007 in search for increasing competitiveness in the markets where it operates. Following a comprehensive professionalization process, in February 2007, São Martinho’s stock began trading on the Novo Mercado segment, the highest Corporate Governance Segment of the São Paulo Stock Exchange (BM&FBovespa), under the ticker SMTO3.

São Martinho Plant Nowadays
Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions