Shares and Debt
SulAmérica works with surrounding communities by supporting social projects and developing campaigns and initiatives aimed at good practices in the areas of education, health and the environment, with a focus on adolescents and youth, such as:
• Support of social projects in the surrounding communities in the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, such as the Praças da Paz, Aprendizes de Lanternagem e Pintura Automotiva, Centro de Inclusão Digital Estácio and Saúde Bucal.
• Institutional campaigns and social initiatives, such as blood donation drives, campaigns for Children’s Day and Christmas with the donation of children‘s books and toys, dental health initiatives, lectures to prepare young people for the job market and the environment week; and
• Creation of the “Comitê Solidário” (Solidarity Committee), in which employees participate as volunteers in initiatives and campaigns developed by the Voluntary Work Unit and the Sustainability Department. The Voluntary Work Unit proposes ideas, organize events and mobilize family members, friends and coworkers.
Aware of the growing importance of environmental issues and the impacts caused by climate changes, SulAmérica adopts measures aimed at environmental preservation and the conscientious consumption of natural resources, which include:
• Recycling programs at all units and a campaign to reduce the generation of waste which, in the last two years, reduced waste disposal by 50%;
• Campaigns to reduce consumption of paper, water and electricity;
• Construction of the new units based on criteria to improve the use of natural resources, especially water and electricity. The same criteria were used in the construction of the head offices;
• Use of water-based paint at accredited auto service centers serving the Super Service Auto Centers (C.A.S.A.), which is less hazardous to the environment due to use of 90% less solvents in relation to traditional auto paints and less hazardous to the health of auto refinishing professionals and to the immediate surroundings of the service centers. 32 units are part of the project and have painted over 17 thousand vehicles, reducing the emission of VOC by approximately 20 tonnes; and
• Digital certification to allow for exchanging documents electronically with health service providers, reducing paper consumption by approximately 21 tonnes since the beginning of the project.
Creating a culture of high performance demands investments in programs to develop the Company´s human capital. That’s why at the core of SulAmérica’s corporate sustainability is guaranteeing quality of life, professional development and equal employment opportunities. SulAmérica has the following initiatives to support the development of its employees, encouraging them to achieve goals and objectives that guarantee the success of our business.
• The Health in Harmony program offers several alternatives to improve the quality of life of our employees, such as "Atletas SulAmérica" (sports), "Fumo Zero, Saúde Dez" (anti-smoking), "Orientação a Gestante" (guidance for expectant mothers), "Gerenciamento dos Fatores de Risco" (managing risk factors), "Espaço Bem Estar" (well being space) and "Viver Bem" (quality of life);
• Universas, SulAmérica’s corporate university, offers competency management and continuing learning programs to employees, as well as to its brokers, service providers and clients; and
• Equal opportunities for all, regardless of race, religion, income class or gender, are a principle at SulAmérica. The company’s human resources policy includes programs to promote the social inclusion of various groups, such as the “Oportunidades Especiais” (Special Opportunities) program for people with disabilities and “Adolescente do Seguro” an apprenticeship program to for the youth.
Responsible corporate behavior is guided by ethics and transparency, which are values that permeate all of SulAmérica’s activities. Among the various initiatives developed by the Company, we highlight the following:
• In 2007, SulAmérica was classified as a Company with Level 2 of Special Corporate Governance Practices of the BM&FBovespa, which indicates the higher quality and greater transparency of the information disclosed by the Company to its stakeholders;
• Since 2008, SulAmérica publishes its Annual Report together with its Sustainability Report, in compliance with the criteria established by the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), and received "Level B" in its two first publications. This is yet another initiative to promote transparency in the company‘s communication with its stakeholders;
• SulAmérica adopts and supports, within the scope of its actions and influence, a set of values related to the defense of human rights, working conditions and the environment that are reflected in the clauses of all its agreements;
• The Company also reinforces these commitments in its Code of Ethics and Conduct, which is distributed to all employees and is available to all other stakeholders on its website; and
• The Legal Compliance Program assures that the Company acts in compliance with all applicable laws and corporate policies by establishing a solid culture of internal controls, risk management and the practice of the ethical principles adopted by the company.
To learn more about these and the other sustainability initiatives developed by SulAmérica, click here.
The Global Compact established by the United Nations (UN), aims to mobilize the international business community to adopt fundamental values in human relations, labor, environment and actions against corruption through 10 key principles. More than 2500 organizations worldwide are already signatories to this Compact, of which 445 are Brazilian. All of them intend to use these principles in their business strategies, decision-making processes and in their daily operations.
Listed on the Bovespa Sustainability Index (ISE), SulAmérica has developed several initiatives in recent years to demonstrate its commitment to sustainability. As the adherence to: the Slave Labor Eradication Pact, Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI), the Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHG), and the preparation of its Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventory. The Company has supported social projects in communities of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.
To learn more about the Global Compact and the 10 principles, click here.
To learn more about SulAmérica Sustainability initiatives, visit the website (in Portuguese only).
The Principles for Sustainable Insurance, PSI, support the objectives for sustainable development. A total of 27 insurance companies have become signatories to this initiative, four of which are Brazilian: SulAmérica, Bradesco, Itaú and Mongeral Aegon.
By becoming a signatory, the company reinforces the commitment to sustainable development. This important initiative will help the insurance market to become an influencer of social changes, involving customers, employees and business partners in building an economically viable, socially fair and environmentally sound for the future.
Learn more about the topic at: http://www.unepfi.org/psi/
Last updated on 06/27/2012